Sunday 18 November 2012

"You look like Robert Pattinson!"


Alright, not the greatest chat-up line in the world, but considering it was just meant as drunken slur – more of an observation rather than compliment- it actually (somehow) worked. The unfortunate guy, who I was apparently shouting this at across the pub near closing time, turned around shocked to say the least, set his eyes on me and smiled!
Now I’m going to be honest with you right now, I was out of my comfort zone. Very rarely (never!) did I speak to a complete stranger and attempt to compliment them. This bold move came after I’d had a rubbish day at work and so naturally I chose to the most logical thing possible, I put on my new favourite summer dress, had many cocktails and blurted out the first thing that came in to my head when I saw a good-looking guy.
Now this poor unfortunate man couldn’t have been much older than me and was possibly just as drunk, if not more so. The young gentleman, who’s name I failed to remember the next day (not my finest point) sat down next to me and said, with a great deal of surprise: “Do you really think I look like Robert Pattinson? That’s the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me before!” which, let’s be honest, was the first clue that this man was not 100% sober, I’m sure for people who are fans of Robert Pattinson would be complimented if they were told they looked like him, however,  it’s probably not going to be THE KINDEST thing someone’s ever said to you!
Anyway, I ignored the fact that this man was either rather drunk or rather un-complimented his whole life, and continued to go on about his looks: “Yes, of course you do. Trust me, I’ve been forced to watch Twilight, I know what he looks like! I’m telling you right now, if you went to any table and told the people sitting there that you were a vampire no-one would question it, not one person. They would just look at each other and say ‘Hey, look this guy’s a vampire’ and then you could walk away knowing that those people really think you’re a vampire” … You may have already grasped, 1. I am not a massive vampire/Twilight fan, 2. I didn’t realise we were flirting at this moment, which is why I’m nattering on about how this guy looks like a Vampire!?!
At this point he’s laughing hysterically, surprisingly at what I’m saying not just at me in general, God knows how I am pulling it off but somehow it’s completely working!
However, and there’s always a ‘however’ (it’s normally ‘but’ except we’re ladies here) he then claims he’s a Marine, oh! Nothing wrong with a Marine, certainly not, the problem here is that:
a)      We’re in England and therefore, they’re called ‘Royal Marines’ and having met a few I know that they don’t like to be called ‘Marines’ because that’s American
b)      He was a little bit scrawny, not in a bad way, in a “I doubt you’re a Marine, let’s be honest we’ve all seen the advert with big rucksack’ kinda-way!
So now, I may be drunk but I’m not an idiot, I am faced with a blatant liar. Of course who am I kidding, that really doesn’t matter, all I care about is the fact he’s fit… you all think it too, especially at this time of night.
So he goes on about how he doesn’t go for ‘skinny’ girls, he likes girl with personality, which apparently I have “tons of” according to him … my drunken-self is start to like him but it got me wondering, was that really what matters the most? Can men genuinely find a girl attractive based on her personality alone or is this an end of a long night- drunken comment?
Well I’m not too sure of what the answer to that question is just yet, but I think that’s going to be my ‘new blog resolution’! I will report back soon
Much love
x

No comments:

Post a Comment